Wednesday, July 26, 2017

14th Century Dress - Green Plaid

So, I had this lovely cotton (almost flannel-ish) plaid fabric that my Mom had given me many years ago (when I was still focusing on Anglo-Saxon stuff), because she thought I could put it to good use. Unfortunately (or... I suppose, Fortunately!) I never did find the perfect project.

Well, fast-forward to January 2017 and we've got a sewing weekend set up for Charle Manor. The goal was to help a friend get an underdress and several of us get general patterns & help with fabric that we owned, but didn't know what to do with (or were too scared to cut into ourselves). I brought 2 tubs full of fabrics - I needed help designating projects for them, as well as patterning them (and actually cutting into them... O_o). Definitely the hardest part for me...

When Kat saw this fabric - she immediately said "Bias-cut Plaid Cotehardie"... I just looked at her skeptically. "Really? Plaid? Cotehardie? for me?" 

Good thing she knows what she's doing. Pictures of process & final project below (coming soon). Turns out, plaid cotehardies were a thing, although not as popular as other styles. :) 

The Master of Estamariu: Detail of the
Alterpiece of St. Vincent, Estamariu,
Catalunya (Catalonia) - 2nd Half of the 14th C
Los Reyes de Oriente, detalle de la Tabla de la Anunciacion y la Epifania,entre 1347 y 1360

I almost always need supervision while cutting
fabric. It's too paralyzing otherwise...
I pinned the HECK out of this dress during every phase of the construction. I really wanted the pattern of the fabric to line up appropriately. IT PAID OFF!
Take the time and pin your fabric... It's worth it.

Sewing, Sewing, Just keep Sewing!

Pinning and Ironing made this
matchup of the fabric pattern almost
PERFECT! YESSSS :D

So there wasn't enough of the fabric width wise to get a fuller skirt, so we improvised with extra fabric. I thought it would be cool to reverse the pattern for this little piece. I actually like it. It's almost like an optical illusion. Is that really reverse or is it just your eyes? ;-)
Again with the pinning! This time was so that
I could hand sew the neckline.









A dress deserves a proper hairdo!
Experimenting with looped braids. 
The big Reveal! Chieftains, February 2017. The underdress is an old underdress that Alethea gave me (simple cotton lace-up). I really *love* how this dress turned out. I am letting it "settle" before finishing the final hem (if you look closely, you can see that it's unfinished). This fabric stretches A LOT and I wanted to get as much stretch out as possible before putting work into the hem. ;-) Kat is going to help me with some arm revisions, but it's wearable and I got lots of compliments on it.

Good thing, too, as this is the dress (and the event) that Eringlin begged a Boon for me for the Order of the Pelican!!!!!!!! Good timing, I suppose. ;-) Kat may or may not have known about that part (sneaky Laurels).

No comments:

Post a Comment